Friends of Mayhill - FOM
Friends of Mayhill is a team of parent, staff and community volunteers who organise fundraising and social events for children and parents. Our main aim is to raise much needed funds to be able to enhance your child’s experience at school by providing resources and support for extra activities.
We have had a very busy and successful school year! Over the last twelve months, we have organised Discos, a Christmas Grotto, the Easter Egg Treasure Hunt, film night.
We've run stalls at all the village events, raised more funds through Christmas Cards, Happy School Bag.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
Our success depends upon a strong team of enthusiastic and willing helpers. If you like organising events then you may like to join our Committee. We meet on average twice a term, one evening meeting and one daytime meeting and plan the Events schedule for the term and each person takes the lead on a particular event, with the support of the rest of the Committee.
We are still looking for a new Chair, and Secretary, as well as some new general committee members. The roles will become effective from September, but we would encourage anyone who is interested to help for the remainder of this year.
We would be delighted to hear from you if you are interested in stepping into these roles or would like to join the Committee. See below for outlines of the main Officer roles.
We also have a large team of willing helpers who are called upon to help out if and when they can. If help is required all the Helpers are emailed with the request and if they are able to, they volunteer. If you would like to join this list please let us know.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
There are so many other ways to get involved with Friends of Mayhill, some not immediately obvious, and don’t involve joining committees or helpers lists. We need all sorts of skills, services and help:
- Discos – we need people who are good at face painting and nail painting. Older children may be interested in helping at these events.
- Raffles – do you work for a Company or have your own business that would be able to provide raffle prizes? Are you good at Sales? Would you be able to help resource raffle prizes from local businesses?
- Cakes - do you enjoy baking? We are always looking for bakers to provide cakes for various events.
- Sponsorship – do you take part in races such as the Hook Fun Run, Reading Half Marathon, Basingstoke Big Wheel or the Crondall Triathlon for example? Why not raise money for the school at the same time?
- Match Funding – some companies have a policy of ‘match funding’, whereby they will match any funds you raise for charity? Does your Company have such a policy?
- Contacts – do you have any contacts that could help us or provide services at a discounted rate? From time to time we need printing services for adverts and raffle tickets for example.
- Yellow Moon – if you order craft/party items why not order from www.yellowmoon.org.uk. Friends of Mayhill can earn a cash-back reward of up to 20% on your purchases. Just enter our code SMA1495 at the checkout.
- Design Skills – are you good with MS Publisher or PowerPoint and would be interested in designing posters and our advertising material?
- Organisation Skills – we are always looking for people with strong organisation skills to run events.
- RAF – the RAF are a great support to the local Schools, we need help with BBQs, marquees, tannoy systems for some of our bigger events. If you work on the base and are able to help in any of these areas please let us know.
If you are able to help us in anyway please catch us in the playground, see the Office or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chairs Friends of Mayhill Committee Meetings
- Gives overview at Annual General Meetings
- Maintains close link with Treasurer
- Writes Annual Report for Submission with Accounts to Charity Commission
- Approves and co-ordinates Annual Fundraising Program with assistance from all Committee Members and liaison with the school
- Liaises with school with regard to its Wish List
- Chairs Management Committee Meetings in absence of Chair
- Co-ordinates fundraising communication with parents and staff re Schemes and Events
- Coordinates Event Rotas – gaining volunteer support from other Committee Members, Staff and Parents where required
- Maintain the accounts, balancing to monthly bank statement
- Complete Annual Charities Return & Gift Aid Return
- Provide up to date accounts and present at committee meetings
- Sign cheques, Pay in
- Keep floats and petty cash
- Ensure all decisions on expenditure are documented by email or minutes & majority decision acted upon
- Keep Chair updated with profit from each event
- Keep FOMs insurance documents up to date (currently direct debit). Review Annually.
- Pay the annual renewal fee for all the licences and provide paperwork to appropriate person should a raffle have been done and therefore a return is required.
- Get Accounts independently checked at end of financial year.
- Sets meeting schedule, deciding how often to have meetings and where.
- Produces Agenda for meetings with input from all Committee.
- Takes minutes of meetings and then distributes (also maintaining archive)
- Updates and circulates contact numbers for Committee Members & Helpers
- Co-ordinates, edits and submits monthly articles for School Newsletter, with all other Committee Members providing input when appropriate
- Updates Website in conjunction with the School Office
- Updates Notice Board, including Events Calendar and Running Totals (VC)