Parents Association- FOMs
Friends of Mayhill - FOM
Friends of Mayhill is a group of parents who organise events for the benefit of your children; they enjoy the events and in doing so, raise very valuable funds for Mayhill. Just like the PTA of your previous infant school, we organise as many fun events as possible throughout the year. Children at Mayhill really enjoy discos, cake sales, film nights, Easter Egg Hunts, the Easter Raffle, Christmas shopping in our ‘Secrets Room’ and our newest event, the sponsored Pentathlon. These events, plus stalls at all village events have recently helped us to raise enough money to help pay for Mayhill’s fantastic new outside area with fake grass for all year round use, completely updated the stage, lighting and sound system for school performances, the amazing new music facilities complete with ipads, a new bike rack, the Chill-Out
Room refurbished for children to use during lunchtime, regular external visits and workshops from authors, musicians and science experts, plus many more smaller items. We are always looking at how to improve the school for our children.
Finally, if your place of work offers a MATCH FUNDING SCHEME please let the school
office know, this is such a great way to help the school raise money.
Thank you for your support, Friends of Mayhill.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
Our success depends upon a strong team of enthusiastic and willing helpers. If you like organising events then you may like to join our Committee.
If you are able to help or have ideas on how we can raise more money come along to our meetings. We meet every half term at school during the day or 7.30pm at The Waterwitch; see the newsletter for our next meeting. Hand in the Friends of Mayhill form in your parent info pack or give your details to the school office
We also have a large team of willing helpers who are called upon to help out if and when they can. If help is required all the Helpers are emailed with the request and if they are able to, they volunteer. If you would like to join this list please let us know.
OTHER WAYS TO HELP
There are so many other ways to get involved with Friends of Mayhill, some not immediately obvious, and don’t involve joining committees or helpers lists. We need all sorts of skills, services and help:
- Discos – we need parents/ carers who work in the day but can afford to give an hour of their evening (twice a year), to stay at the disco and assist. Older children may be interested in helping at these events.
- Raffles – do you work for a Company or have your own business that would be able to provide raffle prizes? Are you good at Sales? Would you be able to help resource raffle prizes from local businesses?
- Cakes - do you enjoy baking? We are always looking for bakers to provide cakes for various events.
- Sponsorship – do you take part in races such as the Hook Fun Run, Reading Half Marathon, Basingstoke Big Wheel or the Crondall Triathlon for example? Why not raise money for the school at the same time?
- Match Funding – some companies have a policy of ‘match funding’, whereby they will match any funds you raise for charity? Does your Company have such a policy?
- Contacts – do you have any contacts that could help us or provide services at a discounted rate? From time to time we need printing services for adverts and raffle tickets for example.
- Design Skills – are you good with MS Publisher or PowerPoint and would be interested in designing posters and our advertising material?
- Organisation Skills – we are always looking for people with strong organisation skills to run events.
- RAF – the RAF are a great support to the local Schools, we need help with BBQs, marquees, tannoy systems for some of our bigger events. If you work on the base and are able to help in any of these areas please let us know.
If you are able to help us in anyway please catch us in the playground or see the Office.
- Chairs Friends of Mayhill Committee Meetings
- Gives overview at Annual General Meetings
- Maintains close link with Treasurer
- Writes Annual Report for Submission with Accounts to Charity Commission
- Approves and co-ordinates Annual Fundraising Program with assistance from all Committee Members and liaison with the school
- Liaises with school with regard to its Wish List
- Maintain the accounts, balancing to monthly bank statement
- Complete Annual Charities Return & Gift Aid Return
- Provide up to date accounts and present at committee meetings
- Sign cheques, Pay in
- Keep floats and petty cash
- Ensure all decisions on expenditure are documented by email or minutes & majority decision acted upon
- Keep Chair updated with profit from each event
- Keep FOMs insurance documents up to date (currently direct debit). Review Annually.
- Pay the annual renewal fee for all the licences and provide paperwork to appropriate person should a raffle have been done and therefore a return is required.
- Get Accounts independently checked at end of financial year.
- Sets meeting schedule, deciding how often to have meetings and where.
- Produces Agenda for meetings with input from all Committee.
- Takes minutes of meetings and then distributes (also maintaining archive)
- Updates and circulates contact numbers for Committee Members & Helpers
- Co-ordinates, edits and submits monthly articles for School Newsletter, with all other Committee Members providing input when appropriate
- Updates Website in conjunction with the School Office
- Updates Notice Board, including Events Calendar and Running Totals (VC)