Punctuality & Absence
As a courtesy to parents, the school playground is open to pupils at 8.30am. All pupils are expected to be in the classroom by 8.50am. Registers are kept open from 8.50 to 9.00am. Pupils arriving after 9.00am are required to sign in at the School Office, and will be recorded as late. Pupils arriving after 9.00am, without a valid explanation, will be recorded in the “unauthorised absence” category. In the event of bad weather or transport difficulties, the register will be kept open while the problems are resolved.
Request for Absence - Military Families
We ask that all RAF families complete a separate form when requesting absence due to deployment. There is a section where a supporting comment can be written by a flight commander. By doing this, we are more eaily able to understand the 'exceptional circumstances' around the request. These forms are available here
Mayhill requests parents to telephone before 9.00am on every day of absence to tell us that a child is sick. If no phone call is received, we will call the parents for an explanation of the absence. However, if we are unable to get a response, your child’s absence will be recorded as unauthorised.
Holidays in Term Times
Parents have a legal duty to ensure their child’s regular attendance at school.
Update on penalty notices Sept 2017
Penalty Notices for non-attendance- Hampshire’s Code of Conduct
The code of conduct states that:
Schools or Hampshire Local Authority will issue a Penalty Notice for any unauthorised absence where the pupil has been:
- absent for 10 or more half-day sessions (five school days) of unauthorised absence during any 100 possible school sessions (10 weeks) – these do not need to be consecutive (codes G, U, or O on the register)
- persistently late (coded U) for up to 10 sessions (five days) after the register has closed
- persistently late before the close of the register (coded L), but the school has met with parents and has clearly communicated that they will categorise as unauthorised any further lateness (code O), and where the threshold of 10 sessions (five days) has been met
- absent for any public examinations of which dates are published in advance
- absent for any formal school assessments, tests or examinations where the dates have been published in advance
Click on the guidance and penalty notices document to view more.