Mayhill Junior has a very close relationship with RAF Odiham, supporting its families throughout deployments and at home. Currently 33% of pupils are from military families.
In addition we have a dedicated ELSA (Emotional Literacy Support Assistant) within school who regularly works with ‘service family’ children guiding them through any worries or concerns, whilst also being on hand to celebrate achievements with them too.
In order to keep fully up to speed with any changes occurring within the RAF base; and the implications they may have on the school intake or on the emotional wellbeing of the children, the school is in regular contact with the HIVE Community Centre at the base and attends half termly briefings.
- Visits to RAF Odiham for special events
- Year 5 STEM event at RAF Odiham against other local schools
- Service Parents Afternoon Teas
- Use of RAF Odiham swimming pool
- RAF support of PTA events
- Taking a group of children to the service children’s’ ‘Creative Forces Day’
- Utilising the support of the Rapid Response Vehicle, based at RAF Odiham to support the delivery of First Aid Training to the year 5 children.
How do we support children from Service families at Mayhill?
This happens in many ways, depending on the needs of the child and the number of children from service families at the school. Read through our service premium review to understand more.